Comox Valley Bloodbowl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Comox Valley Bloodbowl

Nerdtopia league

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 am

yes white will require a drybrush either before, between or after washes. If you want to get crazy you could prime grey, drybrush white, ink turquoise lightly, then ink blue in the cracks.

you'll also likely like the effect of a light drybrush of white or light blue off white. for a snowier look do more downward strokes with the white drybrush.
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:38 pm

So, hair tips (for painting, not real life):
  • Blonde: I'm going to do a bright yellow and wash it with Gryphon Sepia.
  • Red: As shown previously, bright red, washed with Ogryn Flesh.
  • Black: ...no idea? Maybe light grey washed heavily with Badab Black?
  • Brunette: Light brown, washed with Devlan Mud.

Advice, tips, pointers on any of those?
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Black, I would go Adeptus Battlegrey/Black 1:1 with a black wash. Its what I have been doing lately and its quite nice imo.

For the red, you may want to go a brighter shade then ogryn wash. Then again, pure Blood Red is pretty much orange?

EDIT: Whatever you did for the red head on page one seems to have worked. I dont know if you highlighted it to get that effect pre-wash, or if its just the raised area's where not hit by your initial pass as deeply, but it resulted in a realistic highlight.

Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm

The red head was just a bright, bright orange with two washes of ogryn flesh Smile

So, as I'm not working with GW paints (just their washes), I'm assuming Adeptus Battlegrey is probably a medium grey and just mix it 1:1 with straight black before adding the wash?
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Its a foundation paint. I highly recommend them. Its a darker grey, but mixed with black gives a charcoal type look? I dont know like I've said before I'm not an artist I dont get all fancy I just buy whatever makes my life a bit easier.

Then yes, wash it with black and you black line whatever you have without the total flat, yet shiny, black of a straight black.
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

So, I finished my death marshals tonight and I cannot really express how pleased I am with them. No, they're not going to win me awards (not supposed to) but I think they'll look slick on the table and, best of all, I enjoyed painting them. It wasn't the usual chore it is for me! Most people give their death marshals black coats but I took my inspiration from the Devil May Cry series and went for dark red and I love it. The coats are my favorite part.

Death Marshal 1
Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Jumper01

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Jumper03

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Jumper02

Death Marshal 2
Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Surfer01

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Surfer02

Death Marshal 3
Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Marshal01

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Marshal02
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 11:10 pm

** in response to your posted strategy, before i saw these cool marshals...**

There are two little things that stand out for me that you might want to keep in mind, or try sometime.

1. Devlan Mud, I've found is a rather green tinted brown, and as a straight wash for hair might look a little dank (which you might want..) try a Grypon wash followed by a 2:1 Flesh to Mud wash...

2. To better achieve shadows and depth on red, use a touch of purple in the wash, like 6:1 or 8:1. It's the blue tint that helps define distance....
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am

Nice work. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Cow
Lineman
Lineman
Cow

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am

The Death Marshals are great! I think any table top would be honoured to have these guys set up on it. It must be great to paint skirmish sized armies....
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 am

So, before I show off my latest, I wanted to thank all of you guys for your feedback, advice and positive support. I have gone from hating painting to actually really enjoying this particular style/cheating that I'm using and I couldn't have gotten here without you guys. Moving on, some new finished models and a question.

I'm finding that doing a batch of three (with similar colors and long wash drying times), it's taking me 5-6 hours to finish these guys. How does that compare to your guys' times? I mean, I know the results are worlds apart but I'm just curious how long it takes "the pros".

Anyway, on to the models. The last three members of my Death Marshal crew before I tackled Lady Justice herself.

The anti-spirit Exorcist. I needed a new color to add (for his gloves and the bandanas on the Judge and the austringer) and I really like how striking the blue is in contrast.

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Exorcist

The "hide behind a bush and send his falcon to do the hard work" austringer. I wasn't sure about a second coat of Gryphon Sepia on the bird but, after the pictures, I'm definitely going to add it.

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Austringer

Lady J's second-in-command and the one model I guarantee will get killed in every game, The Judge.

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 TheJudge

And finally, a pic of the whole posse so far (only Lady J left to do).

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 TheDeathMarshals
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am

Annnnnnd Lady Justice is done. You can't see her face but there is shading there. Anyway, I likes her.

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 LadyJ
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 am

Nicely done!
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Inquisitor
Inquisitor
RotatingPanda

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:12 am

Here's my Seamus and Copycat Killer: totally painted and based.

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 SeamusCCK

This brings my question to paint to its conclusion. It's only been a few weeks but I feel like I've made some pleasing progress. I've learned to paint to "table top" quality, I've learned to enjoy painting and I've finished two of my three Malifaux crews. Thanks for everyone's feedback, encouragement and advice Smile
Back to top Go down
Cow
Lineman
Lineman
Cow

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Yup, those are looking rad, man! It has been neat to follow this thread. Go into extra innings with your last crew to paint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint   Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Malifaux Crews: My quest to paint
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2