Comox Valley Bloodbowl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Comox Valley Bloodbowl

Nerdtopia league

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Terrain boards/tables types?

Go down 
+2
srg
Gideus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

Terrain boards/tables types? Empty
PostSubject: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm

So I have an ice/snow table. With plenty of things to go on it, and themeing it differently such as ice crystals, winter forest, snowy urban.
What other kinds of tables should we as a group think of trying out? desert themed? jungle? swamp? islands?
Back to top Go down
https://comoxbloodbowl.forumotion.com
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 pm

I will be buying up some of the GW city kits, probably next pay period, and getting those done up in a very simple grey. I really REALLY liked the scope and size, just the visual appeal you get out of having some of those large built up pieces.

Just a straight forward gutted and wrecked city scape to go with my World Eaters that I'll be kicking off the repaint/base for shortly.

A desert theme with rolling modular hills (dunes) and some larger rocks that are solid LOS blockers would also be good.
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Yeah, a desert themed board might be nice to have, I know RotatingPanda would like it for his 'nids, and I do have some nice ideas for deserty themed creations.
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Oh yeah! There where some desert themed nids as the Demo team for 40k at the tournament, great objectives, a mawloc (sp?) coming out of the sand, great stuff.
Back to top Go down
sunrastargod
Lineman
Lineman

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 am

So we gonna do a tournement... ill do a tomb world terrain ... i got all the phone and maybe even the motivation
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm

For the desert theme, there could be half buried walls, and another tall feature i like for the desert are the sandstone pillars/messas

for myself, i liked the giant corner pieces; I'm going to make 2-3 fortress corner pieces..... 4 might also work out as a potiential central fortification in bigger games... we'll see.

I liked having some large pieces of area terrain, but i also like having walls of the right size for filler that is 'as is' terrain.
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 am

Some ruins being reclaimed by the sand, sand dune's, rocks, cactus stands.... :p
Back to top Go down
Cow
Lineman
Lineman
Cow

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Since I'm going to make my Vampire Counts army a "meet me in the mud" theme, I considered doing a marshland, or wetland themed table. I prbably wont end up doing this, or at least not for a long time, but I've thought about some neat terrain bits.

First of all, I would have really shallow inclines, like models will not be wobbly on it, but there will still be a noticable hill. so for pretty much the center third of the table would almost have a huge (but not steep) pit. Then the short table edges would have hill or cliffs to add some elevation to it. And in between those would be flatland of course so the the whole table wont be all wonky.

I would make the "pit" part of it a little extra chunky and glossy, so it looks very muddy, then do less glossy everyowhere else. I'd throw patches of static grass on the table with less in the "pit" and more on the flat and cliff parts.

For modular terrain piieces I'd just make like a muddy pond or swamp and a couple area-terrain tree copses. If I was even more ambitious I'd make a graveyard, maybe a yurt or two, and even some spooky fences!

Oh, and throughout, but especially in the "pit" would be partially burried corpse-bits to really add the the wartorn-ness!
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:02 pm

I really like the sound of that idea Cow. The idea of a not so flat board has always intrigued me, and your suggestion sounds like it would make for a visually appealing setup. Especially the glossy marsh part.

Also, on the concept of a desert board, I also like the idea of the stone mesas/rock formations you see in the rulebook, like below
Terrain boards/tables types? 002
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Thats just what i was talking about. as long as you make some larger multilevel pieces, it can do a whole table with a single type of cover...
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Totally. One of the older rulebooks has a very good pic of how to do it. And they have multiple ways to build them. One being the foam you cut, another being many many many cutouts of cardboard stacked up to give a rougher appearance (as is done in the 5th ed rulebook on the tau table)
Enough of them in different sizes gives a very good impression of a desert canyon.
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Terrain Night?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm

With all of our gaming nights, and the goal of about 10 complete tables of terrain, I'd suggest it's time to get together, pool resources, and do some cutting and gluing!!
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

I'd love to do a "Table workshop" in the coming months, when the weather is nicer.
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Ok, the ice terrain is coming along, but I have some questions for what would add to it.
Would a river, frozen over in places and modular so it could be changed around, be a good idea? Something that might force people into choke points or a similar effect. Maybe something with a bridge?

What about snow hills or other LOS blocking items?
Back to top Go down
srg
Star Player
Star Player
srg

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

A frozen river with ice floes in modular pieces would be quite cool (ha!) the more variety the better.
Back to top Go down
lelandco
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 am

My 40k board is Dessert themes with golden sand from a beach I wasn't allowed to take sand from..... along with some very middle eastern looking buildings. You courtney goers may never see it down here but I can bring it to Mc-Con III for one of the tables there...
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am

That would be awesome to see, and yeah I think we'll need a few tables brought in from other sources for McCon III
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:00 am

I won't have the tables to put it on, but I'm setting a goal for myself to have 4-5 tables of terrain ready.
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Heard a cool Idea today!

hobbyists who make Doll Houses!! the suggestions are to use the 'flooring' or 'wallpaper' (cobbles) as flooring in terrain, and Basing using the cobble wallpaper!

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/wallpaper-floors-crowns-etc-1/

direct to the cobbles

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=cobbles

should be enough to base 60 regular models...
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 pm

I have heard textured wallpaper can make good "cityfight" table terrain, for marbled floors or things. Might have to check it out.
Not sure where to go on a cityfight table...making it modular seems the easiest, but takes a loooot of planning and supplies.
Think it would be worth it to do a good one?
Back to top Go down
Night Lord
Pro
Pro
Night Lord

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Maybe a cityfight table is what we should do together as a club!
Back to top Go down
Gideus
The Commissioner
The Commissioner
Gideus

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 pm

We need more of that stuff you found at IPP, that thicker material that is similar to plasticard but is not the same material. I think you guys used it for bases and stuff. Making 1x1 squares of that as sections for a table would be awesome and easy to do as it cuts so well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrain boards/tables types?   Terrain boards/tables types? Empty

Back to top Go down

Terrain boards/tables types?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Comox Valley Bloodbowl :: Old 40K stuff :: Terrain-
Jump to: